10 Things to do in Las Cruces in 2017
Routine is boring — plain and simple. Sometimes you need to just get out there and explore. Try something new. Go to that museum you’ve been wanting to see, or try out that new restaurant. Luckily for you, Las Cruces has some awesome attractions that we think everyone should be able to enjoy. Here is our list of ten must do activities in Las Cruces for 2017:
- Take a day to visit the Organ Mountains. These gorgeous mountains host some of the best hiking, mountain biking, climbing, horseback riding and scenic vistas around. This is a great way to get away from the ordinary and experience some of the most breathtaking views of the Chihuahuan Desert.
- Check out a movie screening at the Fountain Theatre in Mesilla. The oldest theatre in New Mexico, the Fountain Theatre screens independent, foreign, art, and documentary films year round for all audiences to enjoy. The architecture is stunning, and the films are even better!
- Take a day to explore the Mesilla Valley Bosque State Park. Its expansive 305 acres play host to some amazing nature trails, bird-watching, fishing, and hiking. The park is a fantastic place to go for a relaxing afternoon of wandering and nature-watching.
- Explore the Las Cruces Museum of Nature & Science. Discover the stars, the local desert, and ancient fossils in this wonderful museum. The museum is a great place to connect with the history of Las Cruces.
- Visit White Sands National Monument just 45 miles east of Las Cruces. This national monument is truly stunning in each and every way. The white sands seem to roll on for eternity and the surrounding landscapes are breathtaking. Take the day to picnic, backpack, hike or even sled on the dunes! The white sand not only looks like snow, but acts like it as well!
- Visit New Mexico’s oldest winery, La Vina Winery. Take a tour of the winery and enjoy tastings of some of New Mexico’s finest wines. The winery regularly hosts a variety of events, which you can check out here.
- Enjoy some of the tastiest and most authentic Mexican food New Mexico has to offer at Andele Restaurante. This cozy restaurant has been serving up delicious Mexican and Southwestern food for over 18 years. It is definitely the go-to spot for incredible Mexican food.
- Explore the Las Cruces Farmers & Crafts Market downtown. Every Wednesday and Saturday, vendors gather downtown for an extravaganza of local crafts and farm fresh food. Voted “Number One Large Farmers Market in the Nation” in 2011, there is a little something for everyone at the market!
- Visit the Las Cruces Museum of Art. Rotating exhibits throughout the year keep the museum vibrant and fresh, as well as permanent exhibits that dazzle every time. Visiting the museum is great way to support local art.
- Connect with local history at the Fort Selden Historic Site. This adobe style fort was originally built to protect settlers, but was abandoned in 1891. The architecture is still astonishing to this day and the visitors center is great place to learn all about the history of this historic fort.
Whether getting lost in nature is your thing, or indulging in some of New Mexico’s fine wines and food sounds more appealing, Las Cruces has some seriously awesome attractions to break your routine and amaze you.